Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hedgehog Bakes A Cake


Oh I do love a good storybook chock full of life-lessons and a fabulous cake recipe to boot.  In “Hedgehog Bakes a Cake” by Maryann Macdonald, not only is there a to-die-for cake recipe but also a wonderful story about how friends take over projects and ruin everything.

What?

Indeed.  Poor Hedgehog must lock the door and banish his meddlesome, control-freak friends from interfering in order to properly bake his delicious cake.  And in the end, Hedgehog, in a most superlative act of humility, lets his friends think they had something to do with it.

Ahhh.  Good solid life-lessons all.

 
Well, my kids and I enjoyed the story (and the cake) at any rate.  And the cake is sublimely simple, dense and delicious and I’m sure my fabulous gluten-free C.P. Helen will try it with almond flour.

Sigh.  If you must.

Perfect for a summer afternoon nosh.

Hedgehog’s Cake:

¾ c sugar

½ c butter

3 eggs

1 ¼ c flour

1 tsp vanilla

 

Butter 9” round

Mix soft butter and sugar

Add eggs and vanilla

Mix in flour

(I used a blender for a quick two minutes.)

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

Serve warm plain or with fresh whipped cream and blueberries for an extra treat!

Easy Peasy!

ROW80:
This week I
1.) Rested on my laurels from two submissions and the blog interview I posted last week.
2.) Am developing aversion (somewhat like going to the dentist) towards editing my manuscript.
      I have decided to officially call it "Taking a break and getting some space) before I attempt to edit again.  Perhaps I should set a date?  Okay.  Thursday, Aug 1.
3.)  Am supposed to enter a contest with it this week, but since I'm avoiding it like an old boy-friend. We'll see how that goes.
 
 
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. It sound wonderful....yep...almond flour...but I might give in and have a treat with this. Plus some Darjeeling tea. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond flour, certainly. fresh berries and a cup of hot tea with a touch of sweetening, and milk.

      it's a wrap!
      Diana at About Myself By Myself

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, all it needs is a nice custard filling, and a chocolate ganache... and ...

    Never mind. Easy peasy is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good food story...in fact my current WIP is a food story. I also like the lesson that the story imparts.

    Now I'm in the mood for some cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an amazing book. I'll have to buy it (for my two year old niece of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish, but I'm off sugar at the moment. Blah and double blah! However I can enjoy your beautiful, Pinterest-worthy photos of cake. :)

    Also, I really adore hedgehogs. I'd love to hold one just once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very cute book. My granddaughter has to avoid gluten, sugar, and dairy, so coming up with a birthday cake for her was no easy task. I found a recipe that worked though made with white beans! It was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten. Not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm nummy nom nom nom goodness!

    As for the edits - FISTBUMP. Am doing the same thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a cute book. And the recipe sounds like a deadly delicious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely. Avoiding revision like an old boyfriend. Made me laugh out loud. Go ahead and enter that contest. Your ability to turn a phrase may advance the cause! And give you energy for revision, that art of re-seeing once again what seems finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me with the blueberries and whipped cream. Yum! Good luck on the revision. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me smile! Love the idea of avoiding your manuscript like an old boyfriend. I think your idea of letting it rest but only til a certain date is a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bake to the cake....I'm making it tomorrow with raspberries and whipped cream. I may eat just it for supper...and pretend to be a princess. May even dig out an old crown from the drama box to complete my delusion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cake does look yum. :-)

    Best of luck with your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love a good simple recipe. Thanks for sharing this. And nice to meet you, this is my first visit to your blog =)

    ReplyDelete

Please use your words and comment freely! We really should meet!