Monday, February 11, 2013

"Fortune" Stands on Her Own


Alas!  Today I leave behind titillating topics and scintillating stories for a bit of self-promotion.
(Collective groan and weak smattering of applause…)

Feel free to exit the theater doors now in a singular, orderly fashion.

My genre-crossing, much-queried (and much rejected) MG historical novel “The Play of Fortune” is up for perusal at Cupid’s Literary Connection, a blog which is graciously hosting a “Blind Speed Dating Contest” for writers and agents.  Today entries are open to the public for comments and the like.  My query, plus the first 250 words are listed as entry # 139.

Winners from this round are chosen by a preselected panel of esteemed writers and readers.  If chosen, the story shall move along to the much coveted agent round, where something marvelous is assured to happen.   Public comments only serve to bloster a nervous writer and share warm fuzzies.
It’s funny—in a way.  Since I’ve started this love-affair with my current WIP, “Gia”, I’ve rather left “Fortune” in the dust, discarded.   It’s not her fault she’s a niche book, too smart with her own good, with all those historical notes, Elizabethan language and talk of (gasp) a play?! 
Egads!

I entered this contest just to throw her a bone—so to speak.  And since “Gia’s” Chapter Nine is like pulling a train uphill with my teeth, this will have to serve as blog-post for today.

My most sincere apologies and until anon,

~Just Jill

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with the speed dating and on chapter number nine. I'll have to check out Cupid's literary connection. I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks for stopping 'round again Sara. We'll see how it all goes. This MS is a bit of an albatross.
      As my fabulous CP says, "Onward in to the fog!"
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
    2. OK, I somehow ended up on an old post, thinking it was new I commented on it. I can't even find it now and don't know how old it was.

      Delete
  2. Oh, good luck! That's a great way to get your novel some exposure. I hope you make it to the next round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. THanks L.G. I'll try not to obsessively check my entry every twenty minutes. (When will I ever learn?)
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
  3. All in a day's work Cap'n.
    Thanks for taking the time to stop by...
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 250 words are just! so! lovely! However, blast ye, wench, now I must read the entire story in short order or my brain might explode.

    Best of luck - seriously, I'm crossing everything I have for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alison. Your kindness is a bright spot in a rather tedious evening.
      Many thanks and if you find you have time and want to read "Fortune" just let me know and I'll email you the doc.
      She's a fairly short read. (26,000)
      Yay. I'll go to sleep on THAT warm fuzzy!
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
  5. You got off to a great start with your opening line! Best of luck Jill!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill - re. your comment on my blog about French for an 11 year old, I'd be happy to communicate by email. You can find me on Facebook at 1504275251@facebook.com
    or maybe we can email through our blogs. I'm just not keen to put my email address on a public comment! I'll have a root around in a minute and see if I can find another way to contact you! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your comment to my comment at my other site, and now I'm wondering what the bride had done to earn that little nickname. Thanks for sharing the additional excerpt.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your words and comment freely! We really should meet!