Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Support for Insecure Writers Everwhere!


Greetings Insecure Minions!

Today, I will not be posting any apprehensive, self-loathing type ramblings about my writing for two major reasons:  1.) My last blog, entitled “What if I just suck?” pretty much said it all, and 2.) I just feel too damn good about things to complain about it anymore.

 
 
I figure I hit the height of my insecure arc about a week ago.  It came around, bogged me down, turned me into a mooning whiney-ass and so I, in my cathartic-artist way wrote about it.  And you, my loverly blog-mates—well,  you just pulled me right out of it.  Thank you.  You have all become the best friends and neighbors I don’t know.   So, today I shall provide the double-D support in “Insecure Writers’ Support Group”.  Prepare to be showered in goodness, warm-fuzzies and rose-colored yummies because you deserve it!
 

 
“Start early and work hard. A writer’s apprenticeship usually involves writing a million words (which are then discarded) before he’s almost ready to begin. That takes a while.”
-David Eddings


 

All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives lies a mystery. Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. –George Orwell

 
Ummmm.  Okay.  Maybe that’s not where I wanted to go.  No warm fuzzies on the motivation-meter here.  I am actually considering never writing again.  How ‘bout this one?

There is nothing to writing.  All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.  Ernest Hemingway

Okay.  Thanks Ernie.  Now please go back and sit down at your desk and try not to bleed over all over the floor.  Someone has to clean that up. 

Wow.  These writers are a optimistic bunch aren't they?  I think I need a drink.  But wait--here's another one!

The quality which makes man want to write and read is essentially a desire for self-exposure and masochism.  Like one of those guys who has a compulsion to take his thing out and show it on the street. James Jones
 
Oh.  So is that why I like to write?  Well, thank you Mr. Jones for that little bit of information.  And I mean-- that very little bit.  There must be something here to lift everyone's spirits!  Some cheer to rally the anxious and quiet the self-doubting.
 
Every stink that fights the ventilator thinks its Don Quixote. Stanislaw Jerzy Lee
 
Crap.  I don't even know what that means!
I give up.
People--Listen up!  Get up from your silly box and go outside into the summer day waiting outside your window.  Watch a baseball game.  Go for a walk where there is no path and let your weary eyes rest on slim-lines of branches heavy with vibrant green.  Get your hands in the dirt.  One cannot possibly be downtrodden or gloomy with dirt under your fingernails and the smell of freshly-turned loam in your nostrils.  Plant something.  Weed.  Water.  Watch as Nature in her infinite beauty slowly draws up from the earth a variety of wonders we could in winter's grip only dare to dream about.
Then go write about it.
 
A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people. Thomas Mann
~Just Jill

P.S. Just completed my first book review for Kate Brauning's "The Bookshelf".  The review is for "Will Sparrow's Road" by Karen Cushman.  Link here.

 

Back to IWSG here!

21 comments:

  1. Well, I always thought George Orwell was haunted by demons...just saying...

    And the only thought on "Every stink that fights the ventilator thinks its Don Quixote" is 'HUH?' It's too deep for pondering. Possibly Stanislaw had oxygen deprivation.

    I'm going outside for some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? That's why we're perfect for each-other.
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm inspired now!
    Thanks for uplifting quotes and words, and glad you are in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are feeling uplifted again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tips - I recently discovered a love of gardening, or planting anyway. Whether I can keep them alive until next summer is another thing!
    Thanks for the quotes, Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh anytime, your Majesty. Though I would think your staff would tend the gardens...
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
  5. Ah, I just spent the day planting flowers in the garden. So refreshed. We all gotta take a break now and then from the writing to get a little perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO it finally stopped snowing huh? Thanks for stopping by L.G.
      ~Just Jill

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, I believe I'll skip going outside. The clock is on the verge of chiming midnight, and the only place I need to go is bed.

    I'm glad you're feeling more upbeat. (Unlike some of those writers you quoted!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post - and I went to read your review, which is a delight. Mr. Tidball! I must read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic post, and gave me warm fuzzies all right...now how do I get rid of these fuzzies? They're everywhere, they're everywhere! Aaaiii...*Nosey streaks off, screaming*...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your final pep talk is awesome, and it well makes up for all the darkness and gloom that precedes it. Thanks for finding and commenting on my blog, Jill. I'm glad to join this fun little nut-tree.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're at a good place today. Your picture and your reference to this idea made me think that maybe we could create a secret language based on how much support we need on a given day. Like for the really rough days, we could announce "I'm feeling like a triple D!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say I laughed at the quotes you chose to put here! You make us all sound so silly! Which is a good thing. I think writer's have a sense of drama which can only be fed by drama, and so... I LOVE to garden. I do it whenever I can. I love to plant things, to dig in the earth. Green is my favorite color, almost any shade. Especially against a sky whether clear blue or dark grey. Really enjoyed this post!! And loved the triple D image and reference! I found your blog on the IWSG list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all going to be okay - that sums things up pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll be thinking of you when we arrange our planters!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol, great quotes! I think writers need a degree of pessimism, otherwise we'd be outside frolicking in the sunshine everyday and not writing a single word!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for stopping by and adding your two cents! You are all like one gynormous Wonderbra of support!
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete

Please use your words and comment freely! We really should meet!